“The importance of the Holy Spirit”
Jesus told us that when He left that the Comforter (Holy Spirit) would come. This happened at Pentecost. When an individual accepts Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit takes up residence in that individual. We say that the Holy Spirit ‘indwells’ the believer.
Here are several things that the Holy Spirit does in the life of the believer. As you consider them, I believe that you will understand why the Holy Spirit is so important to us as believers.
1) The indwelling Spirit makes the sinner who is dead spiritually alive. Ephesians 2:1 “And you HE made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins.”
2) The indwelling Spirit bears witness to our spirit we belong to the Lord and that we are an heir of God and fellow-heir with Christ. “For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.” Romans 8:15-17
3) The indwelling Spirit baptizes the believer into the Body of Christ (universal church) “For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.” 1 Corinthians 12:13
4) The indwelling Spirit gives spiritual gifts (God-given abilities for service) for the purpose of edifying and the Church and serving the Lord.to the believer to edify the church and serve the Lord effectively for His glory “But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.” 1 Corinthians 12:11
5) The indwelling Spirit helps the believer understand and apply the Scripture to his daily life “Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.” 1 Corinthians 2:12
6) The indwelling Spirit strengthens the believer’s prayer life interceding for him in prayer “Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.” Romans 8:26-27
7) The indwelling Holy Spirit empowers believers to live for Christ to do His will: “I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.” Galatians 5:16
8) The indwelling Spirit produces the fruit of the Spirit in the believer’s life “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.” Galatians 5:22-23
9) The indwelling Spirit seals the believer unto the day of redemption. “In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.” Ephesians 1:13-14
- Hits: 812